Monday, May 13, 2013

Wild Bird


I had one of coolest experiences. The other night I was saying goodnight to Tobin and this little finch came flying under the roof of the porch with the cat pursuing with a hunter's eye. I thought the bird would just fly out from underneath the porch and away where the cat couldn't follow, but the poor thing was in a panic and didn't seem to see the way of escape. Frantically, it searched for high places to land but without success. The bird flew back around the other side of the house, and I followed to shoo the cat away. That was one determined cat who refused to be deterred. The bird dropped lower as exhaustion overtook the little thing, finally landing on the top of an outside bird cage. The cat could easily climb to the top, so desperate I stuck out my finger to see if I could carry the bird to safety.

I never thought it would work! However, the bird not only allowed me within inches of it but with a little coaxing, the wild finch stepped onto my finger, out of breath. I carried it away from the cat and out under the open night air to safety, but it didn't leave. I had Tobin next to me and two of my brothers surround me fascinated with the bird but it still didn't fly away. He stayed on my finger and trusted me enough to close his eyes and rest.


(I am on the left edge of the photo with the bird on my hand, and my little brother jj--who refuses  to let photos be taken without him...hehe-- in the background)
 
The finch stayed on my finger until I was ready to call it a night and put him in a tree. Then he flew away to high tree top, but he left me with an amazing experience. I felt like a Disney princess with the wild animals trusting me, but mostly I felt grateful that the Lord allowed me an amazing experience that blessed the socks off me. Literally. I wasn't wearing socks or shoes. :P

Finally on a more serious note, I couldn't help wondering if the joy I felt was anything like the joy the Lord feels when we completely surrender to His protection and trust Him even when we are scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment